Wednesday, April 13, 2011

New Zealand, Day 4 in Queenstown


Today was the first day we got to sleep in! Cha-ching! We woke up around ten andd threw our faces on and stepped right into our sneakers. We were out the door for the best meal of the day. What a crisp, fresh morning it was. As we walked down the hill from our hostel, Southern Laughter, I hopped into a hole in the wall tee shirt place. I was interested in the shirts until I heard my stomach growl. I asked the lady where we should head for breakfast & she sent us around the corner to Voodoo Cafe. Locals know best. She had it spot on! Strong coffee & a vegetarian omelette before jumping out of an airplane was delicious. Yes, I went skydiving… again! It was so enjoyable this time. I could actually enjoy the scenery and, surprisingly, relax. My tandem guy was from Syrbia, meaning he was a towering seven foot so we had no problems landing this time! Thank god, my bum wasn’t our landing for us both. It was another phenomenal experience. Dropping from a plane with mountains nearly as high as you are with white snowcaps was gorgeous. The greenish blue lakes below us as well.  Everything was so damn pretty. I feel as if a bit of me belongs here. Do you ever have that certain feeling of attachment to a place? So strong that your heart really latches onto it & you just automatically tell yourself, wow. This is me. I could see myself here. I could do this for a while. Well, I did. Queenstown has a backpackers, cosmopolitan sort of feel. It’s very chill and all the people are just lovely down to earth human beings. Everyone means well and is always there to help you out. It’s very clean and eco-friendly. There’s heaps and heaps of cafes and coffee shops that gaze over an enormous lake. It’s very outdoorsy, meaning opportunities are endless. So many ways to stay fit! The town is definitely my favorite thus far.
After our adrenaline rush from hell, Karen & I walked around town. It was nice to have a chill day to relax and do what we wanted with no bus worries. I purchased some Birkenstocks for a steal. We ate at Bombay Palace (Indian) for dinner. No complaints what so ever. I really want to try to cook Indian food when I return home. Later in the evening, I took a run around the beautiful lake and town. I stepped outside & took a deep breath of campfire. I could run forever with these views! I love that smell, it reminds me of home sweet home. It was nice, but I was well on my way jogging around town. When I returned after a few miles, Karen had the brilliant idea to go for gelato. It was a wonderful way to end our evening. Great gelato, so many flavors! We chatted over our cold gelato in the little hole in the wall dessert joint then headed back. Such early birds we are! It’s just so exhausting. We try to catch up on sleep as much as we can. I feel like I’ve been gone for ages & it’s only been 4 days… two weeks to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment